2017 EMPIRE SWINE YOUTH SCHOLARSHIP
The New York Pork Producers would like to announce the 2017 Empire Swine Youth Scholarship Contest, “Under Construction” to be held at The New York State Fair from August 27th – 30th! Do you know youth showing at their county fairs, raising hogs on their own, or simply interested in the industry? If so, spread the word! We are always looking for new participants and individuals to make a contribution to the event. Our opportunities for sponsorship and to volunteer are better than ever.
More about the contest:
- To participate youth swine showman can bring a market hog to the New York State Fair or they can participate without a market hog in the B contest. Market hogs entered in The New York State Fair must follow all of the state fair rules.
- To sign up the youth need to turn in a New York State Fair Swine Entry Form, available through local extension offices, and check The Empire Swine Youth Scholarship box.
- The ESYS contest goes beyond the hogs to offer youth the opportunity to test their knowledge, make new friends, and earn scholarships and prizes. Over $5,000 in scholarships and prizes awarded historically. 1st Place guaranteed $750 / 2nd Place guaranteed $500 / 3rd Place guaranteed $350.
- Contest participants must designate 1 market hog to be the contest hog at weigh-in. If a youth does not have a hog in the contest weight range of 220 – 280 lbs., they are eligible for the contest, but will not receive live placing points. Contest participants must enter the fitting and showmanship class, complete project records, participate in the oral interviews, take the knowledge review, answer skillathon questions, judge two classes of hogs and answer one class of questions.
- There is no better way to end your summer, earn some scholarship money to support future projects, meet new friends, and ultimately have a blast.
We hope to see you there!
Click to Download Scholarship Project Record 2016
Click to Download Antibiotic Resistance and Safety scholarship articles
Click to download Youth Guideline Book
1st place Melissa Keller, 2nd place Jessica Engel, 3rd place Rachael Harper
and 4th place Michael Kibbe